Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

New Belgium Brewery Fat Tire - Beer Review

Found: Bottles
Brewery: New Belgium Brewing
Beer Name: Fat Tire (Can)
Beer Style: Amber Ale
ABV%:  5.2%
Price: $1.39 / 12 oz Can


There has been a lot of talk about Craft Breweries starting to use cans instead of bottles.  Arguments for seem pretty convincing since the cans are air and light tight (the two enemies of brew). 
I have had Fat Tire in a bottle before, and I wanted to see if there was any difference between the two.  Here goes...

Pour shows a light amber color with extreme clarity.  Three fingers of coarse bubbles in the head that produces fine lacing in waterfalls all the way down the glass.  Aroma gives off the scent of home made bread rising by a wood stove.  Nutty flavor with caramel notes, honey and alcohol.  All of the flavors are very delicate.  Crisp and smooth mouth feel with a medium body.  Overall a very light and refreshing brew.

NW Bearded Brewer's Grade:

4 comments:

  1. Was there much of a difference to the bottled version once you poured it out into the glass? I had the bottled version last year in north california. Sadly I didn't get the label. http://odysseyales.blogspot.com/2011/03/art-of-beer-label.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was no difference that I could see. The Can pours just as well as a Bottle. I don't remember liking this beer when I've had it previously, but it was pretty good this time around. I don't think it was the fact it came out of a can this time, but that I've matured as a brew drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an interesting response from Red Racer Brewery (which is here in Vancouver) to a blog post I did on canned beer. Apparently it is much more environmentally friendly, and easier to ship. They did say not to drink straight out of the can if you can avoid it.

    http://odysseyales.blogspot.com/2011/03/can-it-really-be-any-good.html?showComment=1300217505494#c2446371643397131609

    Are you going to the cask ale festival in Seattle on the 9th? It should be a bit of fun, and will be a chance for me to try some WA beer, as not much gets imported into Canada (except Elysian which I had the other day).
    Good luck with the Scottish style beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried any directly from the can.... I tend to pour into the glass in order to get a good photo anyway.

    I wasn't planning on going to the cask festival, but maybe I can convince CW that it's a great thing to go to.

    Thanks for the support. I actually brewed Thursday night, and it's been bubbling nicely. I'll be posting about it soon, along with a review of the Pale Ale from my first brew.

    NWBB

    ReplyDelete